Slipping, Grinding, Thunking or Clunking?
Transmission problems are very noticeable while driving.
Bring your vehicle to Excalibur for professional transmission service or transmission repair if you notice any of these signs of transmission trouble.
Signs of Transmission Trouble
- Slipping: your vehicle slips in and out of gear, or seems to change gears for no reason.
- Difficulty Shifting: difficulty getting up to speed, or vehicle seems to refuse to change gears.
- Strange Noises: grinding, clunking or thunking noises while shifting
- Fluid Leak: Red, pink, or brown fluid leaks underneath the front or middle of your vehicle.
- Warning Light: a dashboard warning light – like Check Engine or Overdrive (O/D) – in combination with any of the above symptoms could indicate a transmission problem.
Our ASE Certified Master Technicians have the tools and training necessary to correctly diagnose and repair all vehicle transmission problems.
We work with vehicle manufacturers to determine if necessary repairs are covered under the original manufacturer warranty, or an extended service warranty, if you have one.
What Does the Transmission Do?
Your vehicle’s transmission delivers the power from your engine to your drive axle(s). The transmission components make sure your engine’s power matches your speed, load, and driving conditions.
Modern vehicle transmissions are warranted for up to 100,000 miles, but some driving behaviors will cause your vehicle’s transmission to wear out more quickly:
- towing or hauling excessive loads
- frequent stops and starts – city driving
- operating with deteriorated or contaminated transmission fluid
- neglecting regular transmission maintenance
Automatic transmission fluid serves multiple purposes: cleans, cools, lubricates, and continually protects the transmission.
Your automatic transmission fluid level and integrity should be checked by a professional technician every time you change your oil. Transmission fluid should be replaced according to your manufacturer’s recommended schedule.